Monday, June 1, 2009

Safari cake

This was made for my daughter's fourth birthday party. She wanted safari animals, and specifically, an alligator, a hippo and a monkey. So, of course the Princess gets what she requests...

All animals are made out of fondant. This was my first attempt at creating figures. I did get some inspiration from online searches, but the water from Jello idea is one that has been in my mind for some time.

I made blue jello and let it set in a 16" round cake pan. Then, i assembled the tiered cake, with fondant cut out leaves and animals, on top of the jello jungle watering hole. The best part was that the hippo and alligator sort of started to melt into the jello, creating some bubbles around where they were sitting on the water. It made it sort of like the water was moving around their bodies. Kind of unexpected, but cool!

WARNING! The animals sitting on the jello will absorb moisture from the jello and be very sticky when you take them off!


Here is the princess with her cake. You can see that I have a problem making small cakes... they just get bigger and bigger!


And here is a close up of the King of the Jungle:

No comments:

Post a Comment