Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cast party cake for The Vagina Monologues

My lovely coworker, Kaitlin, directed a fantastic production of The Vagina Monologues last week. I was really impressed by the whole production. When she asked if I would make a cast party cake, how could I possibly turn down the chance to do something like this? So, I started my research several months ago. And, by the way, I do not suggest googling vagina cake images. Some of them are disturbing! After lots of jokes and a decision that we did not want the cake to look like a bachelor party treat, I went with a line from one of the monologues: "My vagina is a shell, a tulip, and a destiny." And, I came up with the Vagina Flower, inspired by some of the (strange) female genital art on www.etsy.com.

The vagina flower is made from fondant. The silver sparkle is luster dust that i brushed on with a paintbrush. Each flower petal is individual. Trying to make the flower in one piece with five petals didn't go so swell. I kinda tried to make each layer of the female parts a little darker than the outer layer... so the flower was white. the next layer was a light pink. Then a bit darker pink, then the darkest pink.

Kaitlin's production raised $2500 for the Center for Prevention of Abuse. ROCK ON! What a fantastic effort for a great cause. Way to go, Kaitlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment